More than half of Americans agree there is one family member most likely to bring drama to annual holiday gatherings – and it’s not an in-law
SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 17, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Nearly three in four Millennials (70%) would cut one member of their family from the holiday celebrations if they could “uninvite” that person without consequence – much higher than the 52% of US adults overall who would do so. And only 18% of Millennials (age 26-41) say their annual family holiday gatherings are drama-free, compared to the 39% of Boomers and Seniors (age 58+) who feel the same way.
These are just a few of the generational differences uncovered in a survey commissioned by expert platform JustAnswer today. In the YouGov survey of 1,169 US adults, JustAnswer sought to get a deeper look at some of the annual family strife that causes people to seek professional help from therapists and etiquette experts on its platform every holiday season.
- More than half of Americans (51%) agree that there is at least one member of their extended family that is most likely to cause a fight or bring drama to holiday celebrations.
- However, 60% of Millennials agree that there is one member of the extended family who is most likely to stir things up at the holidays compared to only 40% of Boomers/Seniors
- Only 18% of Millennials say their family holiday gatherings are drama-free, compared to 39% of Boomers and Seniors (age 58+) who feel the same
- 70% of Millennials (and 52% of adults overall) said they would “uninvite” someone from the annual festivities if they could do so without consequence
- Interestingly, it was not an in-law who would be the one person most likely to get the boot. Actually, “An Aunt/uncle/nephew/cousin” is most likely to get uninvited to a holiday gathering if people could trim the guest list.
- “Lingering or unresolved family issues” are the main cause of drama at holiday gatherings among total adults, with 15% naming this as the #1 cause.
- “Certain abrasive personalities” (cited by 12%) and “Clashing beliefs or values” (11%) were also cited as top causes.
- “Alcohol” and “Politics” tied for fourth in the rankings at 9%.
JustAnswer is a platform that connects people with live doctors, lawyers, vets, mechanics and other verified and vetted experts for real-time, online professional help. Featuring more than 12,000 experts across 150 categories, JustAnswer has helped more than 22 million customers across 196 countries since 2003. For more information, visit www.Justanswer.com.
*Methodology: The JustAnswer Holiday 2022 survey was conducted online on November 8th – 9th, 2022 using an online interview administered to 1,169 US adults who are members of a YouGov panel of individuals who have agreed to take part in surveys. The figures were weighted and are representative of all US adults (18+). Age bands were defined as: Gen Z – born 1997-2012, ages 18 – 25, Millennials – born 1981 – 1996, ages 26 – 41 , GenX – born 1965 – 1980, ages 42 – 57, Boomers + Seniors – born before 1965, age 58 or older.
Aimee Grove for JustAnswer: (415) 706-1906; email: email@example.com